Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Those Teenage Events



Today was Michelle’s last day of school and school dance. It’s my one chance a year to dress her up for a school event and normally she’s more excited than I am to attend it. This year she was excited but there were some issues.
Beginning the day before, her emotions seemed to be under better control. There was no fighting, no uncontrollable crying that came out of nowhere and she seemed excited to be going to school. This morning she was a little moody but nothing too bad. Getting her ready in the morning only had one small meltdown of tears, but given today we were getting her ready for a dance it didn't seem like a sign of medication side effects. I got her dressed in a blue strapless dress we borrowed from my girlfriend and I drove her to school.
In hindsight I should have realized that her wearing a strapless dress might be a bad idea. “It seemed like a good idea at the time”, still plays out in my head. She had a couple of wardrobe malfunctions that thankfully weren't seen by anyone and we arrived to her school where she was the center of attention.
Then things started to change. Immediately she started to get upset with people around her, yelling at other students and not wanting to eat breakfast. Her behavior was quickly out of control and I took her out of class and calmed her down. This isn't easy normally and since the new medications were added has become more difficult. The best solution is to hold her till she’s calm enough to listen, get her to take a few deep breaths and negotiate with ultimatums. It doesn't always work but it’s the tactic that has the best odds. Finally she calmed down and she made it through pictures before I left and she had fun at the dance.  
After school she came home is a great mood although a little hyper but within a few minutes the mood swings began and the crying, yelling and throwing tantrums took over. Luckily she was able to be calmed and the rest of the night went smooth.
In my opinion I think she adapting to the medication and the side effects are less and less of an issue as days go by. Some of the emotional outbursts are the same she had before the new medicines but she’s not out of the woods yet. I admit it’s frustrating when she gets like this. I want to walk away sometimes. I sometimes need to quickly remind myself that she’s not an average teenager who I can simple ground and take away privileges hoping she’ll learn from her mistakes. She needs prompting constantly. She needs someone there to calm her down more than an angry parent yelling. There are times I forget that and I apologize. I know her better than most people but I feel lost. I am a single father to a special needs teenage girl. Now I have to deal with all the things about being a teenager, the exploring, the moodiness, the physical changes, having to keep a mental note of when her next period is going to happen and comfort her through the cramps and calm her down when she starts bleeding. I have to buy her first bra and try over and over to teach her how to put it on. I have to constantly remind her to close bedroom doors and keep an eye out for all the bad things in the world. This is something I expected her mom to handle and instead it’s my job to teach her how to use a pad and occasionally help her. This is the age where she was to be independent and all of this was to be a mystery to me. I don’t think I will ever get used to this and I can never expect anyone else to take over. I’m her parent. I have family and friends who give me great advice about what to do but in the end it all falls upon me. I’m never walking away from that but I will always feel awkward throughout this part of her life until she can, if ever, be fully independent. 

1 comment:

  1. You have, you can & you will handle all of this. She's lucky she has you. God placed her with the right person!

    ReplyDelete