Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Teaching Puberty

            Being a single dad to Michelle means that a lot of things that should have been the “Mother’s Job” now fall unto me. Since puberty I’ve had advice and help from friends such as bra shopping and how to teach Michelle how to use a pad during that time of the month. Which leads me to this problem; Michelle has been having her period for a year now and even though she knows how to apply a pad, she still freaks out about it like she’s injured.

            This isn’t something you can simply have a quick talk about becoming a woman to her. Since her mentality is somewhere around age 5 she freaks out every single time and never acknowledges that we’ve talked about this before. The best advice I’ve had so far is to keep telling her about this every month and hope that one day it will trigger. I’m hoping that there might be another option out there that I haven’t considered and with any luck, this entry may give me someone who has gone though this and can help me teach her that this isn’t something to freak out about all the time. Her periods last 3 days now and putting her on birth control to stop or lessen her periods is not an option because she’s on other medications as well and I have no idea what hormone altering medicines with affect her while she’s on her anti-seizure meds. With that said I’m open to your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment